Tayo Oyetibo is the Chief Counsel and Founding Partner of the Firm and has been in legal practice in Nigeria for over 35 years. A consummate advocate, reputed for his integrity and professional skills in the area of dispute resolution, particularly litigation and arbitration, Tayo Oyetibo was conferred with the prestigious rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2003. Tayo has a wealth of experience in dealing with complex litigations, and most of the cases handled by him are regularly reported in notable law reports in Nigeria. He regularly advises on a broad range of high-profile commercial transactions. His expertise and skill in the area of dispute resolution has been widely recognised.
In the area of constitutional law, he was a member of a team of consultants to the National Assembly of Nigeria, appointed by the United Nations Development Programme for the First and Second Amendments to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, which were carried out in the year 2010. He is a prolific writer and a highly sought-after speaker. He has written many articles on diverse subjects of law and presented papers at various international and local law conferences, seminars and workshops. Since 1995, he has been a guest lecturer at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Lagos, where he delivers a lecture on a topic in practice and procedure once a year.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Constitutional Rights Project (CRP); a foremost human rights NGO in Nigeria, a Patron and Life Member of the International Law Association (Nigerian Branch) and Chairman of the Board of Directors of First Quiver School in Lagos. Some of his contributions to various legal publications in various capacities are:
- a) Assistant Editor, Digest of Supreme Court cases 1956-1984 (10 volumes)
- b) Deputy Editor, Nigerian Weekly Law Reports
- c) Deputy Editor, Supreme Court of Nigeria Law Reports
- d) Deputy Editor, High Court of Nigeria Law Reports
- e) Deputy Editor, Commercial Law Reports Quarterly
- f) Deputy Editor, Criminal Law Reports Quarterly”
Over the years he has been recognized by several international legal guides and rankings as a leading disputes resolution lawyer in Nigeria, including being described as follows:
- “very intelligent and his knowledge base is vast – he works through complicated cases, making them look quite simple”- The Legal 500 (2015)
- “a highly experienced practitioner with very good advocacy skills and a strong work ethic”- Chambers and Partners (2015)
- “Peers highlight Tayo Oyetibo as a “well-rounded” and “good litigator.” He possesses long-standing experience representing clients in myriad complex litigation and arbitration cases. His knowledge extends beyond commercial disputes, with distinct capabilities representing clients in constitutional contentious issues.”- Chambers and Partners (2019)
Tayo is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) and the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.